Retina South Africa is a registered Non-Profit Organisation and Public Benefit organisation with B:BBEE status. Sponsorship of certain aspects of our work are tax deductible under Section 18a of the Income Revenue Act.
The National Management Committee of Retina South Africa
Retina South Africa was established in 1980 as the South African Retinitis Pigmentosa Society.
Retina South Africa is a patient-driven action group that has offices or groups in all the major centres in South Africa. Our major focus is:
- Support of the Retinal Degeneration Research project at the University of Cape Town to find the genetic mutations in South African families
- Facilitation of genetic testing to identify those patients who will benefit from clinical trials and imminent therapy
- Public Awareness of retinal degeneration
- Patient support including education, referral and intervention
- Collaboration with local and international agencies and researchers
- Fund raising to support this work
We are founding members of Retina International with headquarters in Ireland.
Membership is open to all patients, family members and persons who wish to support our quest to find treatments for Retinal blinding conditions.
Interested in getting involved? GET IN TOUCH NOW