116km Pre-entry only: Pre-entries close Sunday, 6th February 2022 [116km late entries at registration, if available, seeding not guaranteed and penalties are payable.]
62km: Pre-entry or at Registration [No penalty charge]
Online entries are open at http://www.cycleevents.co.za
Each pre-entrant will receive a free Velotex facemask.
- 116km event – Ernest Hunt Trophy
- Graham Diesel Trophy for the first Master over the finish line in the 116km km event.
- R77,900 will be allocated according to the Cycling South Africa categories
- 62km event Junior Ladies, U/17 Men and Ladies and U/15 Men and Ladies: Hampers to the first three places in each category
Lucky Draw Prizes
All cyclists that have pre-entered will be eligible for lucky draw prizes.
The draw will take place prior to race day and the winners will be notified via e-mail.
Donation Draw – R40 minimum.
- 1 x 7 night accommodation for 2 at Michamvi Sunset Bay Resort in Zanzibar (value R30k) OR
- A 2021 Silverback Strela Comp 700c Aluminium Road Bike (valued at R19 999.99) from Cyclelab
NB! Prizes are not transferrable and can not be exchanged for cash.
Donations matched by the Dis-Chem Foundation.
REGISTRATION VENUE AND TIMES
Fully vaccinated riders can collect their race packs at any of the three registration venues:
Thursday, 17/02/2022 – Cycle Lab – Lynnwood – No. 1 Jacobsen Drive, Lynnridge Mall – 012 003 2140 – 09:00 – 17:30
Friday, 18/02/2022 – Cycle Lab – Fourways – Cnr William Nicol & Lesley Avenue – 011 707 4700 – 09:00 – 17:30
Saturday, 19/02/20 – Cycle Lab – Boksburg – Centric Park, Cnr Romeo St & North Rand Rd – 011 823 3009 – 09:00 – 14:00
Riders will need to present their vaccine certificate (not SMS) and ID to register.
Non-vaccinated & partially vaccinated riders can only register at CycleLab Boksburg on Saturday, 19th February – the day before the event. They must present an official negative PCR test which is not older than 48 hours. Alternatively, they may do an on-site Rapid Antigen Test at the Saturday registration venue at their own cost.
DIRECTIONS TO START
N17 Johannesburg to Springs Highway, Rondebult [R21] off ramp. North to Boksburg. Right into Bigwood (2nd lights). Right into Trichardt Road, left into Dudley Smith and right into Stadium.
N12 Johannesburg/Witbank Highway. Atlas Road off ramp. South to Boksburg (R43), road becomes Van Dyk Road. Right into Commissioner Street, left into Jubilee Road.
CUT OFF TIMES
08:30 – For 116km to change to 62km at route split (15,7km)
11:30 – at Water Point 3 (+ 72km on 116km route)
12:45 – all cyclists at Water Point 4 (+ 93km on 116km Route).
14:00 – Final.
Water Point 1
30kms from the stadium on the R61 just south of Alrode.
Water Point 2
55kms from the stadium on the R557 just before the West entrance to Suikerbosrand.
Water Point 3 (Cut-off at 11:30)
72kms from the stadium on the R42 near the Café Roesta
Water Point 4 (Cut-off at 12:45)
Approximately 93kms from the stadium on the R23 just beyond the R554 four-way stop.
Water Point 5
On the 62 Km event 30km from start.
Water Point 6
At the finish line at the stadium.
MEDICAL AND EMERGENCY BACKUP
Red Cross Ambulance
RULES AND CONDITIONS
- The 116km Super Classic event is a seeding event for the Cape Town Cycle Tour 2023.
- The 116km Super Classic is pre-entry only. Late entries at registration may be possible but seeding is not guaranteed and surcharges and late entry penalty fees apply.
- This event is run in accordance with Cycling South Africa rules.
- The ride will take place regardless of poor weather conditions.
- The race organiser has the right to stop the race due to extreme weather conditions.
- Entry fees will not be refunded should the ride be cancelled for any reason beyond the control of the organisers.
- Sweep vehicles and emergency medical assistance will be on route.
- Traffic officers and marshals will withdraw from the route six hours after the final group starts in the 116km.
- All entrants participate entirely at their own risk and will have no claim whatsoever against organisers, sponsors or officials in respect of any loss, injury or damage related to the cycling event.
- The wearing of hard-shell helmets is compulsory and tri-bars are not permitted in any form.
- The route will be as shown on the map. It is the sole and personal responsibility of all entrants to know the route, as the organisers take no responsibility for persons deviating from the route, or any consequences of such action.
- Cyclists must obey all traffic rules, officials, and marshals, and ride in a responsible manner.
- All cyclists must stay on the left hand side of the road and not cross the centre line (solid white line). Any cyclist deviating from this will be disqualified. This rule will be strictly enforced.
- No cyclists under 12 years of age to enter the 116 km event. Cyclists under the age of 16 must be accompanied at all times by an adult and no persons under the age of 10 years may enter any event. All minors must have parental consent.
- Cyclists MUST pull off the road to receive refreshments. Do NOT shout at water table volunteers to give you refreshments whilst cycling.
- No seconding will be allowed from private vehicles. Only authorised support vehicles will be allowed on the route.
- Slip-streaming behind private vehicles is strictly forbidden.
- Race numbers MUST be worn by all participants.
- By entering the event the entrant confirms that they are medically fit to complete the course, and that the cycle to be used is in a roadworthy condition. Cyclists must carry the necessary spares.
- Participants in the 116km event must have a RaceTec timing device. No chip, no seeding, no time. Without a chip you will not be eligible for prize money. Only cyclists with a chip on the 62 km event will receive a time.
- E-Bikes will be allowed but will ride in a designated group.
- Juveniles must ride with restricted gears.
- Cyclists must have a CSA Racing Licence, membership license or a day licence. Junior Ladies and U/17 Men and Ladies and U/15 Men and Ladies to compete in the 62km event.
- Cash prizes to the value of R77 900.00 will be awarded according to Cycling South Africa categories. Prize giving from 10h30. All Category Prize Winners must be present at the prize-giving.
The Race Organiser has the discretion to reduce the amount of prize winners in each category according to the number of participants.
- PLEASE fill in your details at the bottom of the race number. THE NAME OF YOUR MEDICAL AID AND YOUR MEDICAL AID NUMBER is important.
- The judges’ decision is final.
- Failure to comply with any of the rules will result in disqualification.
- Strict Covid protocols will be implemented in the presentation of the event. For this reason, we are encouraging entrants to be Covid vaccine compliant in line with regulations now under consideration.
All proceeds from the event go directly to projects to find treatments for retinal blinding conditions such as Retinitis Pigmentosa, Macular Degeneration and allied retinal blinding conditions. The race is organised and manned by volunteers under the leadership of Retina South Africa, Springs Wheelers and Hamnet. Proceeds from the donation draw go towards funding genetic testing of financially disadvantaged children affected by retinal vision loss.
RECYCLE YOUR OLD KIT
Development cycling teams are in dire need of kit. Please bring your old kit to the registration desk at the event to help needy cyclists.
Please support our Sponsors as they support you.
ORGANISING COMMITTEE & HELPERS
Thank you to our Organising Committee and Helpers, without you the Ride would not be possible.
ROUTE MAP and ROUTE PROFILE
Click thumbnail to enlarge
Thank you for supporting the Dis-Chem Ride for Sight 2022.
Should you wish to contact us:
Contact Number: 011 450 1181 / 086 059 5959
“CYCLE TO RESTORE THE GIFT OF SIGHT”